Stephen Stanislaus Woznicki was born on Aug. 17, 1894 in Miners Mills, Penn. He attended seminary in Michigan and Minnesota and was ordained to the priesthood at St. Paul Cathedral in St. Paul, Minn., in 1917 to serve the then Diocese of Detroit. In 1938, he was ordained as an auxiliary bishop for the recently elevated Archdiocese of Detroit and on March 28, 1950, he was appointed as the second bishop of Saginaw.
Bishop Woznicki is remembered as a “great builder” as he led a golden era of both population and economic growth in the diocese. He established 21 new parishes and missions, permitted the building of 30 schools, and led a nearly $4 million campaign to open the doors of a diocesan seminary – St. Paul Seminary in Saginaw – which today houses Nouvel Catholic Central High School and the main diocesan offices.
Bishop Woznicki retired on Oct. 30, 1968 and died shortly thereafter on Dec. 10, 1968.