Since the adoption of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People and Essential Norms by the Bishops of the United States in 2002, the following clerics were permanently removed from ministry due to credible allegations of sexual abuse of minors.
In determining allegations to be credible, the Diocese of Saginaw is not making a definitive statement regarding the certainty of the allegations nor the guilt of the accused. The Diocese is only stating that the allegations are highly serious and have not been discredited.
Permanently Removed from Ministry
- Stanislaus A. Bur - deceased
- John E. Hammer
- Richard L Howard (former deacon)
- Jack J. Leipert
- Richard T. Szafranski
- Leonard F. Wilkuski
The following list identifies deceased clergy of the Diocese of Saginaw, against whom a credible allegation was presented
- Martin Ignatius Kalahar, deceased, posthumous allegation
- James Aloysius Mulvey, deceased, posthumous allegation
- Neil Francis O’Connor, deceased, posthumous allegation
- Thomas William Ryan, deceased, posthumous allegation
Currently on administrative leave related to allegations; public ministry prohibited
The following list identifies clergy from religious institutes or other dioceses, who served in the Diocese of Saginaw and against whom at least one credible allegation of child sexual abuse was presented. The asterisk (*) indicates that an allegation of child sexual abuse originated within the Diocese of Saginaw.
- Benedict Adams, OFM Cap (Order of Friars Minor Capuchin), deceased
- Baldwin Beyer, OFM Cap (Order of Friars Minor Capuchin), deceased
- Art Cooney, OFM Cap (Order of Friars Minor Capuchin)
- *Camillus Frigo, O.Praem (Norbertine)
- *Ronald Vincent Gronowski
- Francis M. Landwermeyer, SJ, (Jesuits), deceased
- James LaRéau, OFM Cap (Order of Friars Minor Capuchin), deceased
- *James Marron, C.S.Sp. (Holy Spirit Fathers), deceased, posthumous allegation
- *Francis McHugh, O.Praem (Norbertine), deceased, posthumous allegation
- *Raymond John Pilarski, deceased
- *John Steven Rabideau, OMV (Oblates of the Virgin Mary). He did not serve as a member of the clergy in the Diocese of Saginaw, however he was prosecuted here. Deceased
- *Terrence Andrew Raymond
- Austin Schlaefer, OFM Cap (Order of Friars Minor Capuchin), deceased
- *Robert Gordon Smith, deceased
- *Ken Stewart, OFM Cap (Order of Friars Minor Capuchin)
- Elmer Stoffel, OFM Cap (Order of Friars Minor Capuchin), deceased
- *Joseph Szarek, deceased
- Chester Vincent Tomaszewski, (Diocese of Lansing), deceased
If you are a victim of clergy abuse or know of someone who is, you are urged to make direct contact with local law enforcement and the Michigan Attorney General’s investigation hotline at 844-324-3374. You are also welcome to contact the Victim Assistance Coordinator at 989-797-6682 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Victim Assistance Coordinator can assist victims in obtaining counseling services.
If you have cause to suspect a child or young person is being neglected or abused by anyone, immediately contact the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services at its 24/7 hotline number: 855.444.3911. If you are currently witnessing child abuse or neglect, call 911.