Since the adoption of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People and Essential Norms by the Bishops of the United States in 2002, the following clerics were permanently removed from ministry due to credible allegations of sexual abuse of minors.
Permanently Removed from Ministry
- Stanislaus A. Bur (former priest – deceased)
- Robert J. DeLand
- John E. Hammer (former priest)
- Richard L Howard (former deacon)
- Jack J. Leipert (former priest)
- Leonard F. Wilkuski (former priest)
Please note that the assignment history of the clergy listed above includes the term "Laicized". Laicized means the person went thru a process under Church (Canon) Law known as laicization. When a priest is laicized, it formalizes his return to status of a layperson; it severs his ties to the diocese.
The following list identifies deceased clergy of the Diocese of Saginaw, against whom a credible allegation of child sexual abuse was presented.
In determining allegations to be credible, the Diocese of Saginaw is not making a definitive statement regarding the certainty of the allegations nor the guilt of the accused. The diocese is only stating that the allegations are highly serious and have not been discredited.
- Martin Ignatius Kalahar, deceased, posthumous allegation
- James Aloysius Mulvey, deceased, posthumous allegation
- Neil Francis O’Connor, deceased, posthumous allegation
- Thomas William Ryan, deceased
The following list identifies deceased clergy from other dioceses, who served in the Diocese of Saginaw and against whom a credible allegation of child sexual abuse was presented.
- Raymond John Pilarski, deceased, previously removed from public ministry
- Robert Gordon Smith, deceased, previously removed from public ministry
- Joseph Szarek, deceased, served briefly in Diocese of Saginaw
The following list identifies deceased clergy from religious institutes, who served in the Diocese of Saginaw and against whom a credible allegation of child sexual abuse was presented.
- Camillus Frigo, O.Praem (Norbertine), deceased
- James Marron, C.S.Sp. (Holy Spirit Fathers), deceased, posthumous allegation
- Francis McHugh, O.Praem (Norbertine), deceased, posthumous allegation
- Francis M. Landwermeyer, SJ, (Jesuits), deceased
One additional diocesan priest also was added to the list of those credibly accused:
- Richard Thomas Szafranski, removed from ministry
There also are credible allegations of sexual abuse of a minor regarding some former clergy members of the Diocese of Saginaw who became priests of other dioceses. While the Review Board of the Diocese of Saginaw has not received credible allegations of abuse regarding those listed below, credible allegations against the following have been reported in another diocese:
Suspended from Ministry While Under Investigation
Currently on administrative leave related to allegations under investigation:
If you are a victim of clergy abuse or know of someone who is, you are urged to make direct contact with local law enforcement and the Michigan Attorney General’s investigation hotline at 844-324-3374. You are also welcome to contact the Victim Assistance Coordinator at 989-797-6682 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Victim Assistance Coordinator can assist victims in obtaining counseling services.
If you have cause to suspect a child or young person is being neglected or abused by anyone, immediately contact the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services at its 24/7 hotline number: 855.444.3911. If you are currently witnessing child abuse or neglect, call 911.